That. Was. Awful. That’s the best way I can describe my first chemo treatment. I originally updated the afternoon I had my first infusion…I was feeling good and really optimistic. Well, it’s a good thing I wrote it when I did…because a few hours later, everything changed. Before the actual chemotherapy drugs were administered, I was given two other IV’s. One was an anti-nausea med that was scheduled to last about 6 hours; the other was an anti-nausea and steroid med that was scheduled to last about 3 days. Right at the 6-hour mark from the first drug, it wore off…big time!

The first night was indescribable…the nausea wave hit me hard and fast. Luckily, I never was physically ill. But don’t you know I was all but on my knees praying for it to happen just to get some relief. (Jesus take the wheel, and steer me to the closest toilet!) I took everything I could possibly take that night and finally starting falling asleep around 11:00…and finally started feeling better around 1:00 that morning. I woke up on Thursday with only a little nausea, but the world’s worst headache. The best way I can describe is your worst hangover ever…multiplied by 10. I spent most of Thursday just napping off and on, and taking meds like an OCD patient. Is it 10:00 yet? Is it 11:30 yet? Ha ha…I wasn’t going to miss one opportunity to take something.

My doc’s office called in a migraine med for me on Thursday, and my local pharmacy put it on HOLD. What??? I found out when I called on Sunday to find out where my RX was…they put it on hold because my insurance doesn’t cover this med. I would sell my car for relief from this headache at this point, so I really don’t care that my insurance won’t cover it…just fill it, please! πŸ™‚ So far, the headache has been the worst of it since the first night. I’ve not gotten sick once, either. #Winning

I did get outside and take a short walk on Friday and on Saturday. And this morning I was able to get up and do some laundry and housework (don’t tell my husband, I did it while he was picking up my RX). He has been my savior this week…letting me just sit and rest, not expecting me to do anything or say anything…just letting me be…and getting me junk food that I normally wouldn’t eat. ❀ I mostly feel back to normal, just with a weighted blanket on me.

I finally feel like the worst is behind me for this first treatment. And even though a few days ago I didn’t think I could do this again, much less 3 more times, I’m in a much better place. My doc is going to change my pre-treatment IV meds to a different anti-nausea med and more fluids, so we hope next time around will go much smoother. Just having this headache med is a win for me…I can manage if this is what it takes to keep this cancer from spreading.

Every time I shower, I keep checking for hair loss…it’s still too early, I know, but hey…not shaving my legs is something I’m really looking forward to. Let the good times roll!!! Happy Sunday to you and yours. πŸ™‚

Proverbs 31:25

3 thoughts on “Chemo 1 – Update

  1. So glad you are feeling better, sweet friend!! 1/4 done, you are awesome and God will give you all the strength you need!


  2. I am so sorry for your pain and suffering, hang in there baby girl, as your daddy would have said. I love you sweetheart! Thank you so much for keeping all of us on your progress.


  3. It is rough! Just Hang tight, and be grateful when it’s over for a few days!
    Thinking of you daily! ❀️


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s